* Skype replaces P2P supernodes with Linux boxes hosted by Microsoft (updated) (2012-May-01) [ARS Technica]
Microsoft has drastically overhauled the network running its Skype voice-over-IP service, replacing peer-to-peer client machines with thousands of Linux boxes that have been hardened against the most common types of hack attacks, a security researcher said.
* The Future of Mobile Learning by Rick Oller [EDUCAUSE]
Abstract: This bulletin provides an overview of the current state of mobile learning in higher education, speculates on future directions, and suggests questions that educators might ask of themselves and their institutions in preparation for the onset of mobile education. Ignoring mobile learning is not an option when it has already begun to show a strong potential to disrupt existing pedagogical infrastructure, including that of online education. It is up to those in higher education to adapt this freewheeling trend to best serve the core mission of educating students.
* Guess the lighting [Guess the lighting]
Armed with only a wacom tablet, less-than-mediocre drawing skills and an acute sense of smell, professional photographer Ted Sabarese guesses how individual images were lit by other photographers and then sketches corresponding lighting diagrams. It’s what you always wanted to know but didn’t know who to ask.
* Amanda Palmer: The new RECORD, ART BOOK, and TOUR
hi folks, it’s AFP. this is my first BIG, LEGIT studio album undertaking since breaking from a major label. i’ve spent four years writing the songs for this record, and more recently, putting together the perfect band, The Grand Theft Orchestra, comprised of genius musicians/arrangers/programmers MICHAEL MCQUILKEN, CHAD RAINES, and JHEREK BISCHOFF. in march, we locked ourselves up in a studio in Australia and, with the help of producer/engineer John Congleton (who’s worked with a zillion amazing people including St. Vincent, Modest Mouse, and Xiu Xiu), we made what I believe is my best fucking album to date. …
- Report: How Amanda Palmer Is Kickstarting The Post-Music Industry (2012-May-02) [Ology]
- Amanda Palmer Raises $368,000 in Two Days, Sets Records on Kickstarter (2012-May-02) [Billboard]
* Something different this week via io9, 100 Albums Every Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Should Listen To.
- 100 Albums Every Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Should Listen To: 71-100 (2012-Apr-24)
- 100 Albums Every Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Should Listen To: 51-70 (2012-Apr-25)
- 100 Albums Every Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Should Listen To: 31-50 (2012-Apr-26)
- 100 Albums Every Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Should Listen To: 11-30 (2012-Apr-27)
- 100 Albums Every Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Should Listen To: 1-10 (2012-Apr-30)