Back in our Microscope Cameras round #1 testing we tested the ToupCam SCMOS S01300KPA, 1.3MP unit and apart from the low magnification though that the product was usable. This had us investigating the ToupCam product range further.
ODCM0310C Digital camera for C-Mount, 3MP CMOS AUD$320.00via ProSciTech Pty Ltd (QLD)
ODCMZ-EAF-5 Eyepiece adapter for C-Mount camera fixed 0.05x AUD$25.00
These cameras are built by ToupTek and use the ToupView software package.
Software is readily available via the ToupTek download page on their website. No login account or ordering is required.
ToupView, ToupSee and ToupCam all have current versions that are in 32 and 64 bit formats.
Based on this week’s testing and discussion:
* The 3MP CMOS has been purchased. Only one presenters unit will be used rather than purchasing a full class set. To be reviewed at the end of 2013
* A BA80 microscope will be set up for use as a demonstration with the staff computer. This will involve some changes to the microscope stage / 4x object lens to allow movement through the objectives when displaying an imagine, due to focal point issues. Staff are happy to work around this issue.
Why staff like this camera:
* Software easy to use and upgrade, especially with the migration to Windows 7
* Produces far superior images and allows for students to understand what they should be viewing, as opposed to digital microscopes and a flex cam over a microscope eye piece. This is especially good given there are biology and combined science workshops based on using a microscope effectively
* Captured images can be used in the production of documents