Notes from a session with Peter Kent 16 December 2011 (Promethean, Head of Strategic Direction, Australia & New Zealand)
* Professional Development + Pedagogy –> Intellectual quality
* IWB is not a content delivery model (presentation only), IWB should be used to pull stuff out of students (dialogue, interaction, thinking)
“Teachers can use an IWB to lead substantive conversations and promote higher order thinking by allowing for content that can be easily manipulated.”
Different types of IWB activities;
- Sorting activities.
- Ordering activities.
- Labelling activities.
- Puzzle, game or simulation activities.
* Open ended … Ambiguity
* Think past the activity and understand the strategy
* Reduced ‘teaching time’, more ‘learning time’.
* Think of the IWB as an amplifier of the teaching
In many respects an IWB can be thought of as an ‘amplifier’ of teaching practices. ‘Good’ teaching can be magnified to become ‘great’ while ‘poor’ teaching practices can be amplified to the point where it is counter productive. 
PROMETHEAN ActivInspire Studio
* A sense of control, IWB gives a sense that dialog is allowed
* Best Practice: 5 to 7 minute lessonette with a pedagogical scaffold or framework
Powerful software that is easy to use.
ActivInspire is the educational software that powers the ActivClassroom.
Many templates with standard activities; customise with your floating elements to give context for your lesson
* objects that are fixed to the background
* objects that float over the background
- interactive, response, quiz, question
- on the fly, insert into pages (question manager)
- more than one question on page … Self assess, lesson start, etc
- set of 32 c.$2k
Can be virtualized and run from app (android, iOS, etc) needs to run over wireless: virtual ActivHub
ActivEngage is a software-based solution for interactive instruction and response-based learning. Ideal for schools with 1:1 computer initiatives, mobile laptop carts and computer learning labs, ActivEngage challenges students through real-time lesson interaction.
* When designing material for use on IWB, what tools do we have available?
Will need a listing of products, licensing, and support levels
* Calibrate from menu bar icon, 5 point calibration
 www.prometheanplanet.com – Created by teachers, for teachers, Promethean Planet is a unique teaching, sharing and support community.
 Peter Kent & Matthew Holdway (2007) Interactive Whiteboards, Productive Pedagogies and Literacy Teaching in a Primary Context. [englishliteracyconference.com.au]
 Peter Kent & Matthew Holdway (2009) Interactive whiteboards, productive pedagogies and literacy teaching
 Peter Kent (2008) Technology is ubiquitous; the issue is how to contend with it