These notes have now been updated for the new system 2014-Jan-16
How to set up Cisco VPN for iPhone iOS4 for the UNIMELB Staff VPN. The Cisco VPN is a built-in component of iOS4’s networking preferences, you just need to plug in the correct settings.
Create a new network connection:
From the Settings applet, open General and go to the Network option.
In the Network screen select VPN
In the VPN screen select ‘Add VPN Configuration’
Name the new VPN configuration Unimelb
VPN Type = IPSec
* Server Address: vpn.staff.unimelb.edu.au
* Account Name: Your Uni/ARS ID
* Password: Your Uni/ARS Password
Do not save your password in the setting, leave this field blank you will be prompted for a Password when you connect.
* Group Name: vpn-staff
* Secret: Get the CISCO encrypted password (enc_GroupPwd) from https://its1.unimelb.edu.au/vpn/staffVPN.pcf. Decode it here http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/bin/cisco-decode to obtain the clear key.
* Proxy: Auto http://www.unimelb.edu.au/cgi-bin/proxy.pac
Controlling the VPN connection:
Having configured the VPN you will see a new VPN item in the Settings applet. Use this to turn the VPN on and off.
When the VPN is active you will see a VPN symbol in the indicator bar;